Senior Week...is finally over. I can't tell you how much of a
relief it is to know that I never have to go through that again. With
your comment about how there were squirrels everywhere in Wisconsin,
it's the same here with hummingbirds. The fact of the matter is that the
plants here are constantly blooming throughout the year. And so there
are hummingbirds everywhere. I've seen them perching on telephone lines,
little trees, bigger trees, and they're always chirping and chattering
at each other. It's quite entertaining, really.
My visit last P-day to the Ocean Beach fishing pier was a great, but nostalgic experience. Great because we got to go places, I bought a souvenir at one of the beach shops, and got to eat some pralines and cream ice cream. Nostalgic because there were seagulls everywhere, and there were several people fishing off of the pier, which is what made me feel the most nostalgic. I miss fishing. And I can understand why people want to live close to the beach. It's beautiful. However, I miss the mountains and rivers more.
This last Saturday and Sunday were spent for the most part at the stake center watching conference. We spent all of Saturday there, and we went to Bishop C's house for rhubarb pie and ice cream before Priesthood, since Saturday was HIS birthday. Then, on Sunday, we watched the sessions, had M L's interview, and she had to meet with one of the Presidency of the mission. She passed her interview. Then we went to the L's house, and had my birthday dinner there. They are the Chilean family that I have a hard time understanding. They drop the "s" off of several of their words, so it confuses my simplistic mind. But, we had grilled chicken, carne asada, shrimp alfredo fettuccine, and afterward had cake. Apparently Sister L has done several birthday dinners for many missionaries in the past, so she was ecstatic to be able to cook some food for us. After that, we visited J and M, a couple that is investigating the church after a near-divorce experience. They got really close to divorce, but were able to reconcile and save their family. And now they're looking for a strong religious base for their family.
This last week was "Senior week", which is when the missionary in training is supposed to take over all planning situations, setting appointments, coordinating with the Bishop, and teaching lessons, to give the trainee a taste of what it will be like for the first couple of weeks being a trainer for another missionary.
Dad, I want you to know that I took your advice to heart. "The biting of the tongue is sometimes better than the gift of tongues." Thank you for that. I feel that I was able to retain the Spirit as I stayed silent. And as I've been reading the scriptures, I've been noticing a lot of shadows and types of Jesus Christ in the Book of Mormon. Especially Alma and Amulek.
Anywho, I have no idea what we're doing for P-day today, but it sounds like we're going to thrift stores to look for miscellaneous things to buy. I have no idea what I'll find, but I'm kinda hoping to find a random "sai" knife like in Napoleon Dynamite.
I don't know whether Elder W or I am being transferred next week, but I'll be sure to let you both know in my email next week.
-Love, Elder Crook
No comments:
Post a Comment