Wednesday, October 8, 2014

A new investigator and General Conference

This last week was filled with adventure and instruction. I'll tell about each one. First, the adventure. Just yesterday, we were able to add a new investigator named I. He's from Honduras, and when we first knocked, he was just about to tell us to come back another day, but we started speaking Spanish, and he welcomed us in. Funny thing, once he found out that Elder M was from Honduras, he warmed right up to him, and I just sat there and listened as they talked about Honduras and the things that they love and don't really love so much about living there. After a bit, he asked what church we were from, and from that point on, the lesson got better and better. We talked about how our purpose is to invite others to come closer to Christ by helping them receive a remission of their sins through the Gospel. He then expressed that he felt as though there were a hole in his heart, as though there was some happiness that he could have, but that he hadn't found, and that he'd been searching for a long time. We shared the Book of Mormon with him, and explained the promises of peace and revelation from God. When we gave him the copy of the Book of Mormon, he wouldn't stop thanking us for it. It really made me happy inside, especially after just having watched conference.

Now, onto the instruction. General Conference, in my opinion, was filled with boldness and truth. I don't think I can remember a Conference when it was this focused and specific, at least to my recollection. I noticed a blunt, and recurring theme of repentance, especially from Elder Jorg Klebingat. When he finished speaking, I had to check and make sure that I still had my eyebrows. Felt like they were getting burnt off by his fiery boldness. Everything that he said resounded with the Spirit, so I knew that what he was saying was what needed to be said, but MAN. He laid it out like a hot meat pie in the face. After that, I kept noticing a recurring theme of sustaining the Prophet and Apostles; understanding that the Prophet and Apostles have all the keys, but only the Prophet may use them; staying in the Church, (as with Elder Ballard's talk); and I must say that one of my favorite talks, (if not THE favorite), was Elder Christofferson's. "You can't deny the existence of gravity, and then expect yourself not to fall if you step off a cliff." That statement set the missionaries off and we all vocally agreed with that statement. In all, this whole Conference has been one of my favorites, and is telling me that something big is about to happen if the Lord is gently reprimanding us in this way. I'm guessing He needs us ready, so He's trying to get us qualified and sanctified through repentance and trust in the church leadership.

My birthday went alright. I tried to ignore it for most of the day, and actually did pretty well. It was my goal to not let my birthday distract me from getting work done, and it didn't. We got some good work done, and were able to add I, so that was great. And during my studies this week, I was yet again blessed with a little tidbit of knowledge. Observe Helaman 1:4-8, and you can see a pattern of the pre-existence. Three factions, all led by brothers, and the judgment seat was given to Pahoran, son of Pahoran. (A little symbol of how Christ was the spitting image of God the Father). After that, the second brother Pacumeni, joined the voice of the people. Now there were 2/3 joined for good, and 1/3 rose up in rebellion under the direction of Paanchi, who was then put to death for his crimes, Paanchi being a symbol of Satan being cast out of God's presence, (spiritual death), for rebellion. Pretty cool, huh?

Elder M was written to by his family, thankfully, and he's been doing a bit better. However, he's been refusing to eat for a reason unknown to me. I keep having this suspicion that he's doing it to lose weight. He claims that he's "fasting", but he's been losing a lot of weight, and when he does eat, he barely eats anything. It's got me worried, and I've talked quite frankly and boldly about it with him. If nothing changes, I'm bringing it up with President.

Mom, I have to say that I teared up somethin' fierce when President Eyring was talking about his mom. His story made me think of all the nights you stayed down on the couch, waiting for me to come home. It really hit home, and when he got so emotional about it, the Spirit sure hit me hard. I've been marveling about the blessings that I've received, in just my family alone. I've been blessed with parents so good that I haven't met any better, nor do I think I will until I meet the Heavenly ones again. My siblings are all faithful and strong in the Gospel, which is a blessing much greater than any other that I can think of. All of these missionaries talk about how annoying their siblings were to them, yet I can truthfully say that I never got that from my siblings. Yes, Ashley and I would tussle a bit when I was really little, but I never felt like they were picking on me. And to be honest, coming into this family 20 years ago has been the greatest birthday present I've ever received.

I love you, Mom. I love you, Dad. I can't express in words how thankful I am for you, so I'll just let the Spirit do the talking. Let my siblings know just how much I love them, and how proud I am to call them my brother and sisters. Thanks for singing happy birthday! It sure made me happy inside. Tell the nieces and nephew just how much I love them, and give them a squeeze for me. Have a great week!

-Love, Elder Crook

No comments:

Post a Comment