So. I'm an uncle. Again. And it's a girl. Again. And she's as cute
as a jelly-bean. Again. Would've been cool to have been born on Friday
the 13th. But oh well. I'm betting you're all going to watch the Psych
Episode called Tuesday the 17th today, yeah? Anywho, this
last week has been pretty hectic for what it's worth. On Wednesday last
week, we did a missionary blitz in another area. A blitz is where
another companionship goes into another area to do a great big search
for people to teach. We went to an apartment complex nicknamed "The
Catacombs". And indeed they were correctly named. We tracted, knocked on
doors, met a muslim, and found some great people for the other Elders
to teach. That, and I've been eating tons of different foods this week,
from flautas, and abondigas (mexican meatballs), to pasole and tomales.
We had tomales de maiz y carne, (corn and beef), and it was for the Dia
de Indepencia de Mexico. Aparently they ring church-bells all over
Mexico and have the people shout "Viva Mexico! Viva al Hidalgo! Viva la
Indepencia!" We had our own little ward celebration with tons of food, a
program with the Primary, Youth Program, and some adult members who all
danced. The primary did the dance of the viejitos, the youth did the
mexican hat dance, and the adults did this great big culturally accurate
dance that was...quite amazing, to be honest. Oh yeah, and we got
pulled over by a cop yesterday afternoon. He pulls up, rolls down his
window and says,"Are you two allowed to walk side by side on this
sidewalk?" And right then we knew he was a member. His name was R
W. We talked with him for about a half hour, and all of the kids at
the junior high across the street were waving at us. We're not sure
why, but we think it was because of us talking to a cop. I dunno. But we
talked about family history with him, missionary work, and he told us a
great story about missionary work that he did.
And I can't even tell you how excited I am for General Conference.
It's like the superbowl for missionaries.
And the family name has been getting famous out here. First of all,
it's hard for Mexicans to pronounce because of the double 'o' in Crook.
They pronounce it "Crawk", "Craouk", or "Kruk". And then they ask what
it means, and I say "It means ladron." Ladron means robber, or theif. So
when they find that out, they get all giggly and make jokes about it,
which I in turn give them jokes about it. So people here have been
having a great time with our last name.
Have a great week!
No comments:
Post a Comment