Wednesday, April 30, 2014

New companion

First off, and foremost, I have a new companion. Elder H was sent home Friday morning. From Tuesday to Thursday last week, we spent a lot of time talking. Repeatedly, I warned him about how hard it would be if he went home. And yet repeatedly, he claimed that the depression was too much. Now, from what I understand from depression, I've experienced a bit of it. My siblings and parents will both remember the state of mind that I was in during the end of my sophomore year in high school. Based on what I experienced then, I knew that if it was depression like I had, then it would be obvious as to why he'd want to go home. But, after having gotten out of said depression, I knew just how much he would thank the Lord if he stayed on his mission and fought it out. I talked to him about that, and admonished him in the best way that I could to try and persuade him to stay. However, he decided that it was too much, and decided to go home. We went about our regular schedule on Thursday, and after just barely walking into a dinner appointment around 6:30, President C called. He told Elder H that there was a flight booked for him at 11:00 AM the next morning. Pretty short notice, but then comes the next part. He then asks to talk to me, and after getting the phone, he tells me that I'll be getting a new companion after dropping off Elder H. We then finished off the night, and went back to the apartment to plan. After we finished, the Zone Leaders called, and told me to pack my bags because I was being moved out of my area to another part of San Diego. I can't even tell you how terrified, mortified, worrisome, afraid, and surprised I was at learning that I would be moving. I asked if they were sure, because President had told me that I was getting a new companion. They said they weren't sure, so they were going to call President C. Their call took about 10 minutes, and for that small space of time, I was filled with utter agony and fear. I was so worried about our investigators that were progressing, our less-actives that were returning, and I felt so alone. Then, the Zone Leaders called back. They said that there had been a misunderstanding, and that I would actually be staying in my area to receive a new companion. Oh what relief that brought to my soul. (I'm waxing eloquent here, bear with me.) All of that fear, etc., etc., lifted right off my shoulders, and I realized just how much I'd come to love this Branch and the people of Ramona. I was quite surprised at how much I loved the members and our investigators. Then I thought about how my new companion must have been feeling at that moment, knowing that he was being emergency transferred out of his area to be my new companion. Then I started feeling pretty sorry and sad for my new companion. I had tasted just a bit of what he must have been feeling. Anywho, we dropped off Elder H, and went to get my new companion, Elder M. He's just finishing up with his training, and he's from Idaho. He's really into cars. Like, REALLY into cars. He knows how to fix just about any car. He's even licensed as a mechanic. So far, he's been pretty interesting. Fun, but interesting.

Well. That was a long paragraph, right? So. Today, we went down to Mira Mesa, a small subdivided city below Poway, and we went bowling for $1.50 per person per game. It's a steal, right? Then, once we were in, I noticed that it was just a Tuesday thing. Every other day of the week, it's like $10 per person per game. So I guess we came at just the right time. OH YEAH. And I got the Easter Package. Wanna know what my favorite thing was? The DARTH VADER EASTER EGGS. I 'bout DIED when I saw those. I guess Mom knows just what I like. :D

The whole district had a hard time finding new investigators this week. We found not a one out of all the companionships. Mostly, we've been focusing on trying to spot and talk to people that we've never seen before, (since I've just about talked to all of the Mexicans in our area). However, we have had some good progress with D.

So. Thursday, right before our dinner appointment, Elder H and I went to teach D with the young men and young men's leader, Brother T. We got there, and talked about the things that the young men do all the time. Hikes, fishing, camping, boy scouts, etc., and D got super pumped. We then talked about the Fathers and Sons camp-out at the end of this week, and then Brother T mentioned something about how D needed to be 12 to go, and he's only 11 until May 15. He got pretty bummed out about that. So, we taught him a lesson on tithes and offerings, and he understands completely why we pay tithing. We actually asked him why, since we know that the Lord doesn't need our money. He instantly said that it was because of obedience. Blew my mind. Anywho, later, on Sunday, Brother T mentions that D could come to the camp-out since it was church sponsored, and all he needed was a permission slip. We went yesterday to teach him and give him the permission slip. First, we talked about the things that Boy Scouts do, and the camp outs/fishing trips/etc., and talked to him about how much fun he would have. We then taught him about Church, Praying, and Reading, or CPR. We compared it to three things that you can give to the plant that is your testimony, as found in Alma 32. Prayer is like the sun, reading the scriptures is like water, and church attendance is like weeding/fertilizing. By praying, we get spiritual light from the Lord, and we become closer to him. Then, as we read from the scriptures, it's like a well of water springing up unto everlasting life. We then compared the sacrament to weeding around the plant, and washing away our sins, and the gospel classes as the fertilizer. It was actually an idea that I had on the spot, so I thought it went pretty well. He actually came up with a lot of the answers to the questions we asked, and blew my mind. Seriously. This kid just knows the gospel, and he understands it. Now if only he can get to church. His sister N wasn't able to bring him this week because of work. We're going to try using members to help out.

And on Monday, we helped some English Elders with some service. We dug this 80-foot trench 18-inches deep, and a shovel-head wide. We ran into some big rocks, and the dirt was like cement. I got a couple of blisters, so now my hands are all tender 'n stuff. It took about 5 hours, and right towards the end, Elder M hit a water line and sent an Old Faithful stream of water into the air. We had been told where two other water lines were, and deftly avoided them, but we didn't know about the one that we hit. Apparently it was just the sprinkler system.

Anywho, other than that, nothing much has happened. Our less-active J continues to progress rapidly towards the temple, and he even deleted his Facebook profile because he said it was distracting him from better things to do. We continue walking and talking and trying to teach every day. I'm getting quite tanned, and that seems to be the only thing that missionaries mention when they see me, so I guess I was pretty white before I got out here.

I love you all. Talk to you next week!


-Love, Elder Crook

No comments:

Post a Comment