Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Ups and Downs

Easter actually went pretty well. We were able to get around to almost all of our investigators and teach them about the resurrection, (which included the "Because of Him" video). And right after church, a bunch of members all got together at one of our member's apartments, and we had a big Easter dinner. It consisted of carne asada, (which was DIVINE), rice, salsas, tortillas de maiz, and caldo de frijoles. Overall, it was a pretty good dinner, and we got to mingle and talk with a lot of members that we don't usually get to see during the week.

Elder H has been quite the handful this week. We had to go have an emergency interview with President C on Thursday because Elder H wanted to go home. Believe me, I talked to him about the importance of a mission, and I made sure to listen to how he was feeling. He said it wasn't homesickness, but he said that he just felt he needed to go home. We met with President, who told him that he should stay, and gave him sound advice; afterward, Elder H said that he felt much better, and that he wanted to stay. Problem solved? Nope. Last night, he regressed and said that he wanted to go home again. He got the okay from President to call his parents. I didn't hear him during the call, but he was really emotional and confused looking after the call, so I assume that his parents told him to stay. I gave him a talk by Elder Holland to listen to, which is called "When times are hard", and the whole talk was geared towards overcoming our obstacles, and not getting discouraged. He finished it, and didn't talk to me the rest of the night. I've been giving him scriptural, spiritual, intellectual, and logical advice on why he should stay, and how important it is to the people of San Diego that he stays. Tonight, he has permission to call his bishop back home. Personally, I feel like he will only accept the answer that he wants. I've tried almost everything I can think of. I just don't know what to do. I keep him working, I keep him active, and I don't let him just sit there and mull over his problems. I keep him talking, and I keep talking to him. But it doesn't seem to be working. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Basically, it's all up to the Lord now.

Because of the problems with Elder H, we really haven't had time to do much proselyting. On top of that, G and M dropped us. We went to visit them with a member, and G answered the door. He told us not to come by anymore, because they weren't interested, and that if they felt like they were being "called", that they would agree to listen then. Our lessons have been very few, and our success in finding new investigators just as unsuccessful. But this week, we had a very joyful, and sweet miracle.

The C family, who had gone less-active right when I got here, had us over the other night. We stopped by to see if they were home, and Hermana C was there with her daughter. Since there was no man over 18, she brought us some folding chairs, and had us sit outside their apartment. While we sat there, she made us some very DELICIOUS sandwiches, and gave us some watermelon and a flavored drink, (still not sure what the flavor was). After that, we talked with her a bit, us sitting on the folding chairs, and her sitting on a swivel chair in the doorway. Then, Hermano C showed up, and greeted us quite cordially. (I'm waxing eloquent here.) We went in, and then their oldest daughter walked in, thus having the whole family present. We showed them the "Because of Him" video in Spanish, and afterward, we testified of His resurrection and love for us. The Spirit was very strong. We were about to leave, and asked if we could say a prayer. Just then, Hermano C asked us for a blessing of comfort. In that very instant, I felt the Spirit explode. It was amazing. We got up, and as I began to say the blessing, my thoughts began ordering themselves in a most beautiful way. The words flowed, the blessing formed, and I knew that the Lord's hand was upon me. I knew that the things that I was promising would come to pass. I finished the blessing, and Hermano C's eyes were watery. He thanked us profoundly for the blessing. Then, out of nowhere, his daughter asks for a blessing as well. Same Spiritual promptings and feelings, same effect for the blessing. Then, after that blessing closed, Hermana C asked for a blessing as well. Again, the Spirit made me feel the same things, and the blessing for her flowed just as easily and powerfully as the first two. When the blessing closed, she was wiping her eyes because she had been crying for almost the entire blessing. We then, out of courtesy, gave a blessing to their 12 year old daughter. Spirit wasn't quite as strong, but it was there. We then closed with a prayer on the household and the family, and left. If you recall, this was the family in which the father didn't want to go to church because he felt offended. The fact that he and his family were filled with humility enough to ask for that blessing is something that I have been hoping for since I first met them. It was a pretty good day yesterday.

Other than that, not much has happened. In answer to Mom's questions, we haven't had FHE with a member in a really long time. The last one we had was last transfer. And we have around 9 investigators total, 3 of which are solid, 6 of which are really hard to find. And it was pretty weird to get a text from the mission presidency that asked what I wanted them to say to my high school choir. To be honest, I was pretty...hmmm...perplexed?...surprised?...confused?...eh. Those three words just about sum it up. So, I sent a message that I knew to be true. Choir was good, but the mission is better. And I honestly believe that.
 
Love you all! Till next week!

-Love, Elder Crook

Elder Crook hanging onto Potato Chip Rock

No comments:

Post a Comment