Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Fantastic Week

I have not reached a year in my mission yet, but in a year from today exactly, I'll be on a flight home. Crazy to think about, eh? I've been tripping because of it. But I'm excited to see where the last year of my mission goes.

This last week was fantastic. Big change from the last ump-teen weeks, right? I'm not sure why, but the Lord started throwing blessings on our laps like nothing, and we were finally able to find some new investigators. To start off, we had Missionary Training Exchanges on Wednesday last week. It goes all day, and ended Thursday morning. We had another missionary come with us in our area. He's a zone leader, but quite young to be so. Anywho, as we walked throughout the day, we contacted everyone we could. We eventually contacted this 10 year old boy named J, and this other Elder whips out Joshua 1:9, seeing if he can catch the kid's attention. The moment he says "Joshua 1:9", we hear a woman down the street yell, "I love that scripture!", and she comes running over to us. J had to go, so we were left with this woman, and began talking about what we teach as missionaries. She said that some other missionaries had been painting a fence, and she thought about how good those boys were. She wished that she could talk to them. Right then, she saw us walk by her apartment. She grabbed her kitty-litter box to empty as an excuse to come talk to us. She then introduced herself as P. We asked her if she ever had any questions, and she asked,"Why do men cheat? Why do they betray their wives so easily?" She then explained that her husband had left her and cheated on her, and how she felt utterly angry and betrayed. We taught about the atonement of Christ and the power He has to heal us, whether it be sin or trial. We then bore individual, powerful testimonies of His power to heal us, and she told us that she thought we were great. Somehow, the San Diego temple was mentioned, and we showed her a picture. When she saw it, she exclaimed,"I've been in there! I've been in that beautiful building! I've never felt anything like the spirit in that building!" We then told her that she could go back if she wanted. She asked us how, quite confused since only members can enter. We then explained how one prepares themselves to enter the temple, and taught about baptism and the gift of the Holy Ghost. We spoke of how the covenant of baptism cleanses us of our sins, and how the Gift of the Holy Ghost prepares us to enter the temple and the Lord's presence. She said she wanted to know more, and even told us that she wanted to get baptized. Luckily, the English Elders were just down the street eating some elotes (Mexican corn on the cob), so we waved them over. They came running with high knees, and we asked her to tell them what she had told us. "Oh! Right. I want to get baptized and go to the temple." The English Elders' jaws dropped. They would've just about like to have died. That has to be in the top 2 of the best street contacting miracles of my mission.

On top of that, we went to visit the less active family C. As mentioned before, Hermano C decided to go less active because of a conflict that had arisen between him and his leaders. Remember that when I got to Ramona, he went less active. Remember also that we taught several powerhouse spiritual lessons to help him see that going to church is important, no matter what other people do. During the MTE's, we went and visited them, and ate dinner. While Elder M and I talked with their daughter about college and her goals, the other Elder talked with the C. They mentioned the conflict with their leaders, and the Elder told them of how the exact same thing had happened to him, and expressed his feelings. We then taught a lesson to them, and asked them how we could improve. We then explained how important the members are in helping us serve, and how they are blessed. Then, out of nowhere, Hermano C gets a look on his face and says, "I'm coming to church this Sunday. It's been long enough. I've been feeling my testimony wane and my faith diminish. I need to go to church." This time, MY jaw dropped, BUT I caught myself and made it inconspicuous. We bore testimony that his choice was the right one. He then asked the other Elder to give him a blessing, and Hermana C asked Elder M to give her a blessing, (his first in Spanish). After the blessings, everyone was in tears. That one visit was such a relief on my part. I was so happy to see that they would be coming back.

Then, after we dropped the other Elder off on Thursday, we started the exchanges that night with the zone leaders. Elder W came with me. He has not changed in the slightest. Not one inkling has changed about him. He still makes the same jokes, still has the same grammatical mistakes with his Spanish, and is the exact same Elder W as when I was in training. BUT, I was the one who had changed, and the exchange went much better than I expected. We managed to teach a lot of lessons, and talked to a lot of people in the street.

Saturday was hectic with 4 hours of service and a baptism, so we scrambled to be able to do any proselyting. Sunday, both of us were quite ill. I had a horrible labrynthitis spell and was dizzy the whole day, and Elder M was having food poisoning symptoms from some tamales that he'd eaten on exchanges with the zone leaders. We struggled all day, and everyone asked us individually what was wrong. There was never a group of people that asked. I swear, I explained labrynthitis around 20 times that day.

Yesterday was fun. First of all, it was Memorial Day, so that meant that most people would have work off, so there was some good street contacting done. We also had 4 meal appointments. I don't know what it is, but for some reason, we get all of our meal appointments on the same day at once, and we have none for the rest of the week. So, we first ate breakfast with some people at service in the morning, ate lunch for a surprise birthday party for one of the missionaries, ate lunch again for a Memorial Day bar-b-que, and ate dinner with some members that live out in the San Diego estates. During the day, we were able to find a gas station that sold Jones sodas, so I grabbed a couple to cool me down. We were able to have some really cool lessons with a less active, and a family of members whose father isn't a member. And today, we hiked up to Potato Chip rock...again. I tried to do a Karate Kid type pose on it this time around. Then we worked out. Whoop-dee-doo. And now we're emailing. So, all in all, this last week was packed with stuff to do. I'm beat. I just want to nap for a whole day.

Other than that....there's not much more. Pretty crazy week, right? Let me tell you, I've been doing some prayers of gratitude like never before. These were some much desired blessings that we received. We're hoping to be able to keep on bringing in new investigators and finding these miracles.

I hope you all have a great week!

-Love, Elder Crook

No comments:

Post a Comment