Thursday, May 22, 2014

Spider-Man hang

We had the sushi party, and I'm pretty sure I got some food poisoning from the sushi. It isn't pretty. I've been sick since Saturday. Anywho, none of the members brought their friends, and the only investigators that came were the other Elders', and the Sisters' investigators. There were three non-members in total there. So that was a flop as far as missionary work goes. We were really counting on the members inviting their friends, but no one really stepped up to the plate.

Today, right off the bat, instead of going with the Zone Leaders down to the mission office to get mail and stuff, we borrowed the Sisters' car and went searching for a mine. We had done some service for an investigator of the Elders named B, and the service mainly consisted of tearing down this cactus stand that she had owned for quite some time. The stand hadn't done as well as she'd hoped, and so she was going to clear everything out and sell the land. We used hammers and basically just whacked on the boards until it all fell apart. I started out by using a ladder to climb up and disentangle some cable that was attached at the tops of all of the 4 X 4 support beams of the stand. When I got to the last corner, I had just barely popped off the last part of the cable at the highest point of the stand, when the ladder went out from under my feet. I'm still not sure how it did, but I managed to latch onto the corner of the shed that I was by with one hand, and did a sick Spider-Man hang for a second before hopping down to safety. I made some yells 'n stuff while I was hanging, so all of the Sisters started freaking out while I was hanging in the air. Then I hopped down without any damage, and they started chastising me 'n stuff. Sister missionaries are weird. We finished moving out most of the larger pieces of wood and squishing some black widows and brown recluses, and THEN we found the rocks. She had some good chunks of black tourmaline and very pure quartz, (looked like glass), and she had some agates and carbuncles. We asked her where she'd found the rocks, and she told us that there was a mine between Ramona and Julian that had black tourmalines 'n stuff just lying around on the ground around the mine. We asked her for directions, and she gave us some basic instructions, but we weren't able to find it. We're going to ask around some more and see what we can find. I'm planning on sending some of the shards that we found to Melissa in the package with her letter and the SD card this week. (Sorry it took so long.)

We taught D the other day about prayer, helping him to understand that the meaning of prayer is a basic conversation with Heavenly Father. After we'd finished the lesson, we mentioned his baptism, and he said that his mom had told him that he couldn't get baptized any more. At first, she had consented, but something changed, and now he can't get baptized. We're down to around 4 investigators, so we're running low on enthusiasm this week. I keep asking myself whether or not the reason that we're not finding investigators is because of us, or if it's because the Lord is trying our patience and diligence. I just don't want to be going around trying to find investigators and end up doing what the Lord DOESN'T want me to do, but I don't realize it. Y'know what I mean? I just want to be sure that we're doing what we should be doing.

One of the Sisters in the district has family from Star Valley. Her name is Sister S, but her relatives in Star Valley are the R. We sat there and talked about Star Valley for a good 5-10 minutes, mentioning Etna, Bedford, Afton, Prater Canyon, the Snake River and all of the individual rapids there, etc. It was pretty refreshing to think about Star Valley. I think I'd really like to go to Star Valley pretty quickly after I get home. Family camp-out anyone?

We actually had a little miracle that wasn't really in any way related to missionary work. We went to Kmart trying to find a tool-box for Elder M to buy and use for service on cars 'n stuff. He grabbed a 94 piece tool set that had a price tag of $49.99. He thought for a bit, and eventually resorted to praying about whether or not he should get the tools. He got an answer in the affirmative, and so he grabbed it. However, when we got to the cash register, it scanned at $99.99. We asked if that was the right price, and they said it was. He tried to explain that the marked price was actually $50 less, but they didn't listen. So, we left the tools, and decided to try again another day. We went back a few days later, got the same tool-box, checked the marked price, took a picture of the price with the phone, took it to the front, and it scanned out at $39.99. It was $10 less than the marked price, and $60 less than the scanned price that first day. So now Elder M has a tool-box and he's as happy as can be. Other than that, we really haven't done much or seen many people. Everyone hasn't been home when we've tried.

Talk to you next Tuesday!

-Love, Elder Crook

No comments:

Post a Comment