For the 4th of July, we did a lot of
crazy stuff. We first went to a multi-ward breakfast at the church, which was
provided by the several wards/branches of Ramona. We had a short program where
everyone stood around the flagpole, the flag ceremony was carried out, and a
member who was a veteran spoke of the flag, of the colors, and of the symbols.
He then spoke about the freedom and liberty won by so much sacrifice. We closed
the ceremony with a prayer, blessed the food, and got down to eating. We had french
toast, pancakes, fruit, and breakfast burritos. It was actually a really good
breakfast. Our branch was in charge of taking everything down and cleaning up,
but almost nobody from our branch helped, so the missionaries ended up doing
the majority of it.
After that, we studied a bit in the
chapel, and I prepared to teach district meeting. I felt really impressed to
teach about agency, and the importance of showing our investigators that they
have the freedom to choose, but they don't have the freedom to choose the
consequences. I taught first, by sharing the experience of Francis Scott Key,
and how he witnessed the shelling of Fort McHenry, and how from that
experience, he wrote the Star Spangled Banner. I talked about the sacrifices of
the men and women who have died in the protection of our liberty is exactly
what the prophets did throughout every dispensation. The soldiers have died for
the cause of carnal liberty, yet the prophets died for the cause of spiritual
liberty from sin. I then shared about how the war in heaven was fought for
liberty, and how the battle continues in this world, and the world to come. The
battle has been on every plane of existence for us, and will forever be our
fight.
Today, a
few companionships all went to the temple, the rest went to Old Town, and Elder
M and I went with a couple of English Elders to get the mail, and hang
out in Ramona. It's been a pretty calm day today, and it's been wonderful. I've
been enjoying quite thoroughly this day.
Yesterday, we went to see V S
with E, the recent convert. E has a really strong, sincere testimony,
and we felt that it would be good to bring him to the lesson. Earlier in the
day, Brother M, V's member friend, calls us and sets up the appointment
with us and V for 8:00 that night. He even double-checked it. That night,
we showed up with E, and V told us to come another day because he was
tired. I swear, only in the Mexican culture will you say that you're tired and
turn away guests. But, I guess there's always those people that will help you
no matter what time of day it is.
Well, there are Elders waiting for the
computers to email their families. It was really cool to see all of the
pictures of your trip, Mom and Dad!
I love you, Mom and Dad. I'm really
thankful for the two of you, and for all that you've done to show me how to be
patient and hopeful.
Let the siblings know how much I miss
and love them, and tickle the nieces and nephew for me.
-Love, Elder Crook
No comments:
Post a Comment