Thursday, July 24, 2014

Service, Skits, and Stuff

This last week has been a pretty interesting one to say the least, full of great opportunities, service, problems with the zone leaders, a camp out, and other stuff.

So. Wednesday was District Meeting, and we had a good lesson on how to promise blessings to those who follow through on their commitments, and if necessary, promise a lack of blessings, just as the Lord did in the Book of Mormon. After all, it does say, "As long as ye keep my commandments, ye shall prosper in the land." and then "If ye keep not my commandments, ye shall be accursed, and ye shall be swept off the face of the earth as chaff before the wind." Y'know? So that was what we talked about in District meeting, and I thought that it went pretty well. Thursday, we had some good service in the morning, and were able to get all of our lessons done. We met with D, and he said he would come to church with his sister and her boyfriend. Didn't happen, so we're getting pretty tired of it. We've been having some lessons on the war chapters in the Book of Mormon, and applying the things that these men and prophets did to our lives. We're hoping to catch his interest on that. We also then had dinner with a member that used to take us to eat all the time, but stopped for a few weeks. We were able to catch up with him and see how he was doing. We then went to coordination, and believe me, it was NOT in order. I swear. Every two minutes, one of the sisters or the zone leaders would say something, and the topic would be lost. Elder M and I said our bit in less than a minute, and then someone took the conversation elsewhere, so we really didn't get the help that we needed from our Branch Mission leader. He got back from his mission about 3 months ago, and he's been doing really well so far as our mission leader. Then some achievement day girls had some left-over ice cream, and asked us if we wanted it. We graciously accepted.

Friday, we practiced a skit for the branch camp out that night. My idea was to talk about some skits that we'd seen other people do, and then act them out. But the sisters and elders had a different idea, and decided to create their own unique skit out of nowhere. It involved some pretty awkward moments, and so Elder M and I felt that it wasn't appropriate. But, we ended up doing it anyway because nobody wanted to change it. I got a bit frustrated with that, since I really didn't like the skit idea in the first place, and said so. We then helped this lady move a bunch of boxes of books from her apartment into a storage shed a few blocks away. That night, Elder M and I showed up to the camp out in shorts and t-shirts, expecting that we would be helping the members to set up their tents. Lo and behold, we ended up setting up 5 tents and a camper trailer. While Elder M and I went about doing that, the rest of the district sat at the picnic tables and chatted. (That peeved me a bit.) After finishing up with that, we spotted a few members playing a small game of soccer. Elder M and I joined the game, since we were wearing street clothes. After a few minutes of playing, the zone leaders walked over to the field, and hovered on the edge. Just standing there. They stood there for 5 minutes just whispering to each other and looking at us. The ball rolled towards them, I went after it, and when I got close to them, they said,"You can't be playing soccer. It's not appropriate, and we're pretty sure it's against the rules." So, I grabbed Elder M and we left the game, the members wondering why we were leaving the game so abruptly. I sat there and fumed for a bit, but got over it pretty quick. Elder M and I then started playing some tether ball to make up for it. We then ate, and right after, we did the skits. The young men recruited me and Elder M for their skit, so we did 2. We performed ours, watched some others do theirs, and had a great time. We had breakfast with them the next day.

Saturday, we helped some members move to a new house that they bought right next to the chapel. We then got a call from another sister member in our area that needed help with her TV. We ran over, and I found out that she was having a new TV installed in her house, and she had no idea how to do it. She also had a fan and a desk that needed to be put together. So I installed the TV for her, Elder M put the fan together, and we both managed to get the desk arranged. We then went to some appointments, and had planned on doing some computer time that night for Mormon.org. We tried everything to get to the computers, but we couldn't. So we sat in our apartment thinking of things to do, and I got the impression to leave the apartment. I didn't know what we would do, but I knew that we needed to be out. So we walked around, trying to find investigators at home, but had no luck at all. Then Elder M suggested that we visit some members just out of our area to see if they needed any service. (They just had their baby last week.) We got there and knocked, only to find C, our branch mission leader, watching TV by himself. The members we wanted to visit weren't there, so we chatted with C for a bit. (He's the brother of the wife member that we wanted to visit. That's why he was there.) We asked if there was anything that we could do to help him out, and he asked us for a blessing. I had the impression to dig a bit, so I asked if anything was wrong. He slumped in his seat and said that he'd been having the hardest time with the zone leaders. They live at his parents' house, and he said that he couldn't stand them. He told us about several things that they did that he was extremely frustrated about. He wanted to punch them a couple of times, so he was pretty mad. We explained to him the things that had been going on with us, told him that we understood what he felt completely, and could see the load that it took off his shoulders. We gave him a blessing, and he thanked us quite a bit. It was a pretty great miracle to see happen. But it's pretty sad that the zone leaders have been causing problems for other people/members than just me and Elder M.

Yesterday, we had service at the zebra farm, and our job was to fill a huge hole left by an old tree. As we filled, the lady who owned the ranch came and told us that there would be a castration if we wanted to watch. So, we went and found that they were going to castrate a tiny pony. I think a Shetland pony, if I'm not mistaken on the name. We sat there and watched as the vet did his work, tranquilizing and the like. Then the cutting and snipping and stuff happened, so we Elders started squirming a bit. We went back and finished up on the digging, and headed home. We had a lunch appointment with a member, a dinner appointment with another, and had some lessons in between as well as after. We were hoping to see K again, but she's been out of town for the last week, which is why I didn't mention her last week. She wasn't home, so we walked around trying to find people to contact. After a bit, we gave up and went to go get some Slurpee's with some English Elders.

So. This week was pretty eventful, I must say. And we've got some great service projects planned for the next few days, so we'll be having more stories for next Tuesday.

I love you, Mom! I love you, Dad. Thank you for the letters and talks and words of encouragement. They've really been helping with the zone leader problem. Thanks to the siblings for their letters and emails. They've been a big strength booster. Love you all!

-Love, Elder Crook

No comments:

Post a Comment