Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Bloomin' scortchin' boiling hot!

WELL, let's get on with things. Last Wednesday was interesting, and it was BLOOMIN' SCORTCHIN' BOILING HOT. I mean, sure, it's gotten hot here before, but it was already 82 degrees by the time it was 10 a.m. By noon, it was over 100, and it stayed like that ALL DAY LONG. Not to mention the fact that we were on bikes pretty much the whole day. We biked around and set up some good appointments for other days, and were able to get a solid referral for the El Cajon zone leaders. Remember the guy named C. that told us that he knew tons of Mormons a few weeks ago? They met up with him, and he said that if they pushed him, that he'd probably become Mormon. He was the one that offered to make us food since he caters, and had recently catered to a wedding for some members down in Sweetwater. We had district meeting, just us and the sisters, and Elder V. did an amazing job. I'm mostly trying to stay out of the way when it comes to him being a district leader, and just give points and tips when he asks. So far, it's working really well. Do you remember my investigator back in Poway, named I.? Well, I got word that he got baptized a few weeks ago! I WAS SO FLIPPIN' HAPPY. I 'bout died. We then went and tried to find several less-actives at home, but to our dismay, none were home, so we biked our butts off and I roasted alive. We had dinner with a member, and somehow, she recreated the pork roasts that we eat on Sundays back home. I took a bite and just about melted in my seat. I think I ended up eating half the plate of meat, since it tasted so familiar and divine. We then went and taught a missionary prep class that's started up, and it seemed more like a Q&A with testimonies mixed in. I felt like the young men got some good thoughts out of it. We then tried to go teach some people, and swung by K's. He wasn't home for some reason, but CJ L. was. He's a returned missionary that served here awhile back, and he was here visiting. We asked if he could accompany us to an appointment the next day, and went home to bed.

Thursday, we got up and got runnin' early. Once again, the temperature was above 100 by noon. We picked up CJ, and went to teach V. at 10 a.m. We had a really great lesson with her about the restoration, and even though she said at the beginning, "I'm a Catholic.", by the end she was super interested in reading the Book of Mormon. She had even read the introduction and had questions about it. I think she read your testimony before she read the intro. Thanks for putting that in there. We then were able to answer several of her questions, including one about infant baptism. She had a big problem with it, and said that she felt that it was wrong, so we showed her Moroni 8:11-12, and she lit up when she read it. She had a question about the Gift of the Holy Ghost, so we gave her the reading assignment to read 2 Nephi 31 before our next appointment. She said that she'd be busy all this week until after Mother's day, so we'll be stopping by this week just to see how she's doing and how the reading's going. We then did weekly planning, got some really good insights planned in, and went out to try and contact some referrals. None were contacted, so we went to visit a less-active member. The wife was there, and she asked us when we could come back. So we set an appointment, and continued on to some other people to visit, and ran into a couple of members on the street. We even talked to a guy named John Kennedy. I wonder if his middle name started with an F. Hmmm. We then went with Hno. C. to see some members for branch splits/visits. We saw the G.'s, and shared the Because He Lives video with them. We then went to see some other members, but they weren't able to meet with us. We then called it a night. Because of the heat during the day, I made sure to double-check and see if I still had eyebrows.

 On Friday, we did mormon.org, and went to see if we could find some people outside to talk to. For the third day in a row, above 100 degrees, and I think that it's the humidity that kills me. We tried a few places that we hadn't been to before, but found nobody. We contacted both of our referrals, and were able to set up return appointments. On the second one, I started feeling lightheaded because I didn't have any water. We swung by a CVS pharmacy, and I snagged a Gatorade. Oh man it was the quenchiest. I downed the whole thing in 10 seconds. We biked around a bit more. We then had dinner, and from there, went to see the C.'s. I'm not sure exactly why or how it happened, but I had been listening to Brad Wilcox in "His Grace is Sufficient" that morning before studies, and I felt the strong impression to share some thoughts from that. The Spirit was so, so strong. I was mondo-major-crazy surprised. I don't know exactly what the C.'s needed from what I said, but I hope that they got something. We then got a call from Hno. I. to go to his sister's house, so we did. He had inadvertently broken his car key inside of the lock on the trunk, and needed our help with what he was doing in the trench that we had dug the week before. We helped him out with some of the laying of the piping, and held the light up so that he could see what he was doing. We then went home.

Saturday, we woke up early and helped clean the church, and right after that, we went to the San Diego Family History Center and got Elder V. trained up on how to do family history work. We then did some studies, and went to see an English guy that is a friend of M. L.'s. We called him up, and went to see him. He welcomed us into his museum/apartment. I mean really, it was one of the coolest apartments I've ever seen. He had African masks, skulls, paintings, models, molds, and all sorts of other stuff, arranged and set in a neat order. His bedroom was Japanese themed, and everything on the walls was authentic Japanese stuff from the 40's and 50's. His guest room was Old West themed, and had pictures, paintings, an Indian headdress, tools, arrowheads, guns, and all sorts of stuff on the walls. His kitchen was Civil War themed, and he has an original photo of John Wilkes Booth. There were pictures of Lincoln, newspapers, and all sorts of stuff. We sat down after he showed us all of this, and told us about his life, and how everything he had collected hadn't done him much good. We talked about what we do as missionaries, and after a while of talking and sharing, we invited him to meet with Elders D. and F. He agreed, and we said that we'd stop by and see how he was doing every so often. We then had dinner with the C.'s, and they made some pretty darned good mole. We then went to see some other members, but since it was the fight night of Mayweather and Paquiao, we didn't' have much success.

Sunday, we made it to branch council, and it was packed. A bunch of people from the Stake Presidency and high council were there, so we took the remaining two seats. During the prayer, we heard a knock, and I figured that since Elder V. and I didn't have much to discuss, that we could leave and set up chairs/make copies of the program/set up the sacrament table, etc., so we got up and asked President if we might be excused, and that we would get those things done for him. He smiled and thanked us. We got all that stuff done, and waited. Several less-actives came to church, which was awesome! We then had the classes, and went home. After getting home, we studied the afternoon away, and then went to see L., an investigator of Elder N's. We met him, and talked with him about a lot of things. We shared our message, and our expectations, and left. We had dinner, and went to see E., a recent convert of CJ L's. We knocked on the door, and at first, they didn't open the screen door. We asked for E., and the guy on the other side asked who wanted to know. We mentioned that we knew CJ, and the door flew open. It was a bit awkward at first. The wife is E., and her husband Z., isn't a member. In fact, right off the bat, he said that he wouldn't go to our church because of some things that he'd read. I did my best to let him know that a lot of times, people that attack the church with certain things don't exactly cite their sources. The things they say are pretty much just hullabaloo until you can find the direct source and citation. That eased his worries, and from that point on, the visit just got better and better. E's dad dropped off their son, G., and he was just a little ball of joy. He had no problem with coming up to us and saying hi and giving us a high five. We talked about a lot of things, and we had a great time with them and their family. By the end of the visit, they were eager and exited for us to come back. We then biked around for a bit, and turned in and went home. 

Yesterday, we had one of the coolest miracles I've had on the mission. We biked over to see the G's, but they weren't home. We went to see S., one of the referrals, and he wasn't home either. We then went to see the R., but only the husband was home, so we gave him the Because He Lives card. We then went to see a particular less-active on a street called Shady Lane. He wasn't home, so we started walking out. I spotted this older black lady that I had tried to contact last week. When I tried last week, she gruffly said no, and shrugged us off. This time, I noticed that she was struggling to get around because of her legs. She has to use a cane, so I asked if there was anything we could do to help. She said no. I then got a feeling. I asked her how her day was going. She started to cry, said that her name was J., and said that things had been really hard lately, and that she was so sorry for shrugging us off last week. She said that she had felt horrible after, and that she only did it because that's what everyone else does. I was really surprised. She told us all of these things, and said that she was so thankful for God and Christ. We stood and listened to her, and after a bit, she asked if we knew anything about computers. I said that I did. So, we walked her to her apartment, helping her up and down the stairs, and she waited outside while I worked my magic. She uses this phone service called MajicJack, and it had stopped working all of a sudden. So I called up Elder J., who is a computer genius, and he walked me through a ton of troubleshooting techniques. None of them worked. So, I got the idea to check the website one more time, and there was an upgrade button, so I clicked it. The software installed, and the phones worked again. She was so thankful, and she said that we could come back any time. We said that we'd send some other Elders, and she was all for it. I felt like that was one of those moments where someone was changed by the Spirit, and I got to see it happen. We then had dinner with the G.'s, and went to see the C's for FHE. We shared a message about forgiveness, and the Spirit was really strong. We then turned in for the night.

Well, that's just about the whole kit-'n-kaboodle. I'm happy to report that the heat didn't kill me, and that we've been doing well here in this area. I'm really excited to talk to you this Sunday! I love you!

-Love, Elder Crook

No comments:

Post a Comment