Wednesday, May 13, 2015

"Interesting" contacts

It was really nice to see you all on Sunday! Guess it's just the appetizer for the next time we see each other. ;)

Don't have too much time to write today because we went to the temple and I tried out for a Mission President's fireside using Rachel's arrangement of My Heavenly Father Loves Me, so I'm short on time.

Last Wednesday, we had a pretty interesting day. The zone leaders planned a DLC last minute, and we rushed over, had the meeting, and whizzed our way to the next appointment. We didn't find anyone home, and went biking around until this guy pulled us over in the O'Reilly parking lot. He told us that there was this girl that he knew that needed the Gospel, and that even HE wasn't a member, but that he had been to our church recently, and thought that it was amazing. He told us to meet him at such and such a place, and we went there. We got there as this black girl was being dropped off by this big black SUV, and as the guy that we met walked up to her, she started yelling at him. He said it was fine, and that they were friends. He got a call and walked away. We walked over to the girl, named Tori, and explained what had happened, and that we were sorry if we had come as an inconvenience. She said that it wasn't an inconvenience. It was just that she was working. We paused and observed for a moment. Moment of realization: she's a prostitute. OOOHHHH DEAR. So we slipped away casually and went on our way. Then this other girl responded really enthusiastically when we said hi, so we stopped and started talking to her. After a bit of talking, she asked us if we were Mormons. "Yeah. We are." She then asked if we were virgins. "Uhhhh....yeessssss.....?" "Oh that's cool! I'm a prostitute!" O___________________O.....Long awkward pause. After a bit of dialogue, and her cat-calling at guys walking past us, we scooted along. Yup. Aw-rkward. We then went and had dinner, and from there, went to mission prep. The sisters taught it, and we stayed and talked to the guys afterward. We then tried a few people, but no luck.

Thursday, we had our weekly planning, got our area books up to date for getting the iPads, and drove over to the Calvillo's to pass off the box to go to our house in Utah. We then went and saw a few referrals, and neither of them were home. We then ate dinner with Marta and Ricardo, and it sounds like Marta will be moving to Utah soon. We then went with Hno. Calvillo and Balta, his son, to do visits with the members. After that, we turned in for the night.

Friday, we had MTE's, and I got sent to La Mesa again. This time around, I was with Elder Reyes from Colorado. Turns out that everything that I like was everything that he liked. From cartoons, to video games, to anime, to music, to funny YouTube videos like gmod idiot box, he knew all about what I was talking about. We had a great exchange, and were able to teach a couple that were so cool. They had some interesting art on the wall of scantily clad women, so we kept our focus on the family.

Saturday, we switched back, had lunch at Wings and Ribs, and I had the most heavenly buffalo chicken on fries that I've ever tasted. We then went to contact Stephen, our potential, and he wasn't home. We biked to see some less-actives, and went to have dinner with the Calvillo's. They weren't home, so we went and had dinner with Kevin for a bit, and went to plan a fireside that the branch is doing. Hno. Calvillo was there, and he bought us dinner afterward. We then went and tried to see the Cordero's, and Hno. was there. We had a good chat with just him, and we shared a message about being thankful, and striving to be worthy of even better blessings. He's been coming to church consecutively for the last month, so he's getting ready to go to the temple soon!

Sunday, we had no branch council due to Mother's day, and the Sacrament meeting was Mother's Day themed. I translated for Sacrament, and then we went to the classes. I had to design an invitation for the branch fireside, so I did that during gospel principles. I doodled and participated when called upon. We then went to Elder's Quorum, and had a lesson on the BoM. From there, we went home, had some lunch with Ricardo, and Skyped with the Crooks and Grandparents Mecham. And Camille, don't feel awkward about the fact that Ricardo asked if you wanted to get married. He's a jokester, and asked if any of my sisters were single. I saw your face make the biggest reaction, so I figured that I'd put your mind at ease. :) We then went and had dinner with a family in the sister's area, the Mendoza's. All of their kids were there, and when I told them that the Man of Steel was the first movie to come out after I went to the MTC, they proceeded to tell me how the entire movie is full of Christ-like symbolisms. THE ENTIRE MOVIE. I basically don't need to watch it now, because they told me the whole flippin' movie. Oh well. We then went and added a new investigator, Joe Cortez. He's from New York, but his parents are Puerto Rican, so he speaks Spanish. After that, we biked over to see if Alex was home, but he wasn't, so we called it a night.

Yesterday, we traded cars with the sisters because we have been saving our miles like crazy, and they haven't been saving theirs at all, and they had to drive out to the Imperial Valley for MTE's, since they're STL's. They have to get us pizza for letting them use our car, so we're pretty happy. We then went to Jamul to try and find a referral there, and then biked to see Luis our investigator. He was asleep, so we talked with Julian, his nephew. We then biked down to contact a referral, and there was no man home. So we went to eat dinner with the Guevara's, and from there, went to see if we could find Jose Angel, a former from a while back. We got some pretty good cusses, got flipped off a few times, and got a few "Hail Satan's" from the people driving by. We didn't find him home, and went to visit Edith. We had an awesome conversation with her and her husband about tons of gospel topics. He just kept asking us questions, and we kept answering them with scriptures and stuff. It was awesome.

Well, that's just about it! See you all soon!
-Love, Elder Crook

No comments:

Post a Comment